Even for a newbie, the Giver application will be very helpful in sharing files between Linux systems. Giver has been hosted in Google code. Its easy to install and very easy to use. I will explain you how to install and use Giver. I am using the application in Ubuntu 10.04.
- Open the ‘Terminal‘
- Enter the following command. sudo apt-get install giver
- This will install the application under Applications -> Internet menu
- The Giver window will show the list of computers in which Giver is running currently.
- To send a file to a computer. click on that computer from the list, will popup a menu asking either to send a file or folder.
- Choose necessary option to show the Open dialog box, [ I am choosing 'Send a file' ]Choose the file and click open.
- The user in the selected computer will be prompted to either accept the file or decline.
- After ‘Accept’ button is clicked, the file transfer gets started. once transfer is done both the users were notified.
- You can configure ‘Giver’ where to save the files received; by opening up its preferences. Default location is user ‘Desktop’
- To open the ‘Preferences’, right click on the Giver icon in the notification area and select ‘Preferences’
- The Preferences dialog box will open. You can change your giver name to be displayed for all your recipients, your profile picture and the location where all your received files/ folders are to be stored. After configuring click ‘Close’